Congratulations to our Youth at Christ the King who were Confirmed at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel on April 2018.
FORMATION FOR CONFIRMATION DURING HIGH SCHOOL
What is the Sacrament of Confirmation?
“Jesus breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”” – John 20:22
What does formation of the Sacrament of Confirmation consist of?
In the midst of High School Discipleship, youth are to participate in Mass, Sunday Discipleship, Retreats, Service experiences and Catholic faith formation.
The Spring Retreat and Day Retreat (immediately before Confirmation) are both an especially important part of their formation experience. Youth will have the opportunity to learn more about their faith, walk and play with one another and experience a powerful weekend of growth in their Catholic Faith. There will be a cost and waiver associated with the Retreat.
They will have the opportunity to enter into immediate Confirmation Preparation once they have participated in Discipleship for 2 years. Candidates should show a willingness to share regularly in the sacramental and prayer life of the Church.
Parents, along with Sponsors, are to be intimately involved in the formation of Confirmation.
Youth Ministers will be in conversation with each of the Candidates to ensure their desire and readiness. Please note that active and willing participation by growing in the faith is one of the requisites for Confirmation readiness.
Per Diocese of Pueblo guidelines, all High School teens are welcome to enter into Sacramental Formation for Confirmation so long as they:
- Have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Reconciliation
- We will need a copy of their Baptismal Certificate (Unless it is on our records here at Christ the King)
- Have participated in 1 full year of Discipleship
- Are currently participating in a 2nd year of Discipleship
- Show a willingness to commit to regular participation in the Sacraments (Eucharist- Mass and Confession) and have the intention and desire to receive the Sacrament.
- Participate in a variety of retreats, service experiences, and doctrinal formation.
- Parents along with Sponsors, are to be intimately involved in Confirmation formation.
Please see the High School Discipleship tab for the most up to date information.
The Role of the Sponsor:
The role of the sponsor is threefold: first to help the confirmands live the Catholic Christian lifestyle. Second to support parents in the life long faith of the confirmand, third, to be a role model of faith for the confirmand. Families and teens are encouraged to prayerfully consider who might best fit these goals to act as a Sponsor.
Some suggested questions to consider when selecting a Sponsor:
- Does this person live the Catholic faith in an exemplary way?
- Are they comfortable sharing their faith with me? Am I comfortable sharing with them?
- Is there founded hope that they will encourage me to walk the in the journey of the Catholic faith through the years?
- Do they meet the qualifications to act as a Sponsor?
Qualifications of a Sponsor (Diocese Guidelines)
- Understand the qualifications and intention of being a sponsor.
- Attained the age of 16
- Is fully initiated Catholic– Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist (Parish will need a copy of Sponsor’s Confirmation Certificate)
- Has no canonical impediments such as:
- divorced and remarried without an annulment
- Catholics married outside of the Church.
- Is not the father or mother of Confirmation Candidate.
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken.
PAPERWORK CHECKLIST FOR CANDIDATES AND SPONSORS:
- Confirmation Candidate Paperwork
- Provide copy of the Confirmation Candidate’s Baptismal Certificate (unless it is on record here at Christ the King)
- Complete the “Candidate Information” form
- Help Candidate select a “Patron Saint” for Confirmation
- Sponsor Paperwork
- Please provide copy of Sponsor(s) Confirmation Certificate
- Review “Qualifications of Sponsor” guidelines
It is important to remember that as members of the Church, we are never been alone, as St. Paul said, ‘We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses’ (Hebrews 12:1). These witnesses are the saints who continually intercede for us (CCC 956); in choosing a confirmation saint, we are choosing a special friend to intercede for us in heaven and after whom we can model our lives while here on earth.
Here are some websites that might help
Patron Saint listing
Click here for Confirmation Candidate Information Form and Tips for picking a Confirmation name.
Pastoral Associate for Adult Formation and Pastoral Care
(719) 542-9248 Ext. 121