Starting in 2019, the Diocese of Pueblo has begun to shift the typical age for conferring the Sacrament of Confirmation. Here at Christ the King in 2021-22, Confirmation Preparation will be offered for incoming 7th and 8th grade teens, as well as any high school youth who wish to obtain this sacrament. Youth and families are to have attended at least one full year of religious formation/education prior to Fall 2021
The Goal of Confirmation Preparation – To reach out to youth at all ages and incorporate them into the Churches Mission, emphasizing Christ at the center of our lives, engaging family participation at the parish level, encouraging youth involvement for lifelong relationship with Christ and the Church.
Confirmation Sessions – Will be offered once monthly for those youth who have discerned their readiness into the Confirmation program. Weekly attendance in all sessions is a part of their formation and growth towards Christ.
Preparing for Confirmation 2021/2022 – click her for info
“Jesus breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”” – John 20:22
Just as Baptism gives new life, Eucharist nourishes life, and Reconciliation restores life when it is broken, Confirmation strengthens that life by the gifts of the Holy Spirit (cf. CCC 1285). It is about strengthening what God has given, and continues to give, to his sons and daughters (cf. CCC 1302-1303).
The Sacrament of Confirmation is not the Catholic equivalent to the Jewish bar mitzvah. Confirmation is not a “coming of age” celebration. True, most young people are just beginning to pass into early adulthood when they receive the sacrament. But Confirmation is not about coming of age. Reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation does not mark the end of formal religious education. We never outgrow a need for a deeper knowledge and appreciation of our faith.
The Sacrament of Confirmation is not a rite of passage, nor a graduation from religion class, nor a ratification of a personal faith choice. Rather, it’s all about what God is doing for his beloved daughters and sons.
And what is God doing? In Confirmation He will strengthening the divine life which he gave at Baptism, nourishing us in the Eucharist, and reconciling with us in Penance. Why? So that after Confirmation the individual can better defend and witness to the faith through the gifts and workings of the Holy Spirit strengthened at Confirmation. And there are—and will be—many situations where we are called upon to defend and witness to our faith. And we need all the help we can get! (excerpt from post by Fr. Don Miller, OFM )
The Role of the Sponsor for a Confirmation Candidate:
Each Confirmation Candidate is to select a person to act as their Sponsor. The role of the sponsor is threefold: first to help the confirmands live the Catholic Christian lifestyle. Second to support parents in the life long faith of the confirmand, third, to be a role model of faith for the confirmand. Families and teens are encouraged to prayerfully consider who might best fit these goals to act as a Sponsor.
Questions to consider when selecting a Sponsor:
1) Does this person or couple live their Catholic Faith in an exemplary way?
2) Do I feel reasonably confident that they will encourage me to live the Catholic Faith throughout my life?
3) What type of relationship do I hope to have with my Sponsor?
4) Will they provide a positive Catholic witness for me?
5) Have I selected either one male (Godfather) or one female (Godmother) who is a fully initiated Catholic? (Fully initiated means having received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist (Confession) and Confirmation).
- Practicing Catholic (consistent Mass attendance and seeking to live a life in harmony with Catholic teachings).
- Has the capability and intention of carrying out the responsibility of the Sponsor
- Attendance at the Sponsor Formation session is desirable. A basic understanding of the role undertaken.
- Has been a fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation)
- Is at least 16 years of age
- Not be either the father or mother of the one to be Baptized
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken
Paperwork for Confirmation Candidates and Sponsors:
- Confirmation Candidate Paperwork
- Provide copy of the Confirmation Candidate’s Baptismal Certificate (unless it is on record here at Christ the King)
- Complete the “Candidate Information” form
- Help Candidate select a “Patron Saint” for Confirmation
- Sponsor Paperwork
- Please provide copy of Sponsor(s) Confirmation Certificate
- Review “Qualifications of Sponsor” guidelines
It is important to remember that as members of the Church, we are never been alone, as St. Paul said, ‘We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses’ (Hebrews 12:1). These witnesses are the saints who continually intercede for us (CCC 956); in choosing a confirmation saint, we are choosing a special friend to intercede for us in heaven and after whom we can model our lives while here on earth.
Here are some websites that might help
Patron Saint listing
Click here for Confirmation Candidate Information Form and Tips for picking a Confirmation name.
Pastoral Associate for Religious Formation
(719) 542-9248 Ext. 113
High School Discipleship Coordinator
(719) 542-9248 Ext. 252
Pastoral Associate for Youth and Adult Pastoral Care
(719) 542-9248 Ext. 121