Preparing for Baptism for Infants & Children (Under 7 years of age)
Welcome! We are excited that you are reaching out to learn more about the beautiful Sacrament of Baptism. Every Sacrament brings us into contact with the God who loves us and wants to share His life with us. God is calling you and your family into this exciting encounter with Him.
The Sacrament of Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church (Catechism of the Catholic Church)
Part of Baptism Formation will be several gatherings with Leadership from the Parish. We want to get to know more about you and your family, so we can best serve you and walk with you as you guide your child in their journey of faith.
Our process as we guide you to prepare for the Baptism of your child:
- Initial Meeting with Staff Member — As Baptism is the beginning step in the life of a Catholic Christian, we want to sit down to meet with you face to face so that we will know how to best serve and guide you.
- Parish Registration —We ask that if you are not yet registered, that you become a member of our Community. We are the Body of Christ, here to walk with you throughout your child’s life of faith. If you have been away from Mass for a while, we invite you back among us! Weekly Mass attendance and reception of Holy Communion nourishes our spirit, and gives us strength for the many trials and challenges we face. It reminds us of God’s desire to be involved in our life, and of His loving providence in good times and in difficult times. The body of Christ, found in our Parish Community, is waiting to welcome and encourage you.
- Meeting with the Pastor — As our shepherd, our Pastor is also eager to meet you face to face. He will spend time with you to understand where you are on your faith journey. He will provide you with an understanding of the requirements and expectations of families who request Baptism for their children.
- Participation in Baptism Sessions– you are invited to attend one of our upcoming Baptismal Formation Sessions. These Sessions cover the Sacrament of Baptism in detail with lively presentations and thoughtful questions. We want to engage you fully, to invite you into the richness and depth of our Catholic faith.
- After completion of above steps and all paperwork, we would love to discuss scheduling of your Baptism.
- Ongoing Family Discipleship – We are creating more opportunities beyond the Baptism process, to help mentor and guide families as they seek to raise their children Catholic.
2019-2020 Baptism Formation Classes for Parents/Guardians and Godparents:
2- Part Session – Sunday September 22nd and Sunday September 29th, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
2- Part Session – Sunday January 12th and Sunday January 19th, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
2-Part Session – Sunday April 19th and Sunday April 26th, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
BELONGING: Presented through Ascension Press by Fr. Mike Schmitz
Belonging: Baptism in the Family of God is designed to provide parents with an incredible encounter with Jesus and with the Church. This program seeks to prepare parents to have their children baptized and to win over their hearts at this important time in their lives. Parents will learn what it means to be children of God and that in the Church, they will always have a place where they belong.
Through hospitality, free-flowing conversation, and a thoughtfully developed follow-up plan, Belonging seeks to change our very approach to baptismal preparation.
- A thorough yet accessible presentation of the sacrament of baptism
- Invites parents and Godparents to consider the deeper meaning of baptism
- Walks step by step through the Rite of Baptism
Please contact Pastoral Associate Sarah Nelson in the Parish Office to begin the process. 719-542-9248 x121 or email@example.com
The special role of Godparents:
A Godparent is to assist the parents/guardians in presenting an infant or child for Baptism. Their role at Baptism and beyond is to act as additional “Catholic mentors” who will help the baptized child throughout their life to become a mature Catholic Christian. They are faithful Catholics, who seek to be an encouragement to the families and children throughout their entire faith journey.
Note: A Godparent is not the same as a legal guardian in the event that the parents/guardians should perish.
Questions to consider when selecting a Godparent:
1) Does this person or couple live their Catholic Faith in an exemplary way? Will they provide a positive Catholic witness for my child?
2) Do I feel reasonably confident that they will encourage my child to live the Catholic Faith throughout the journey of my child’s life?
3) What are my hopes for my child’s relationship with their Godparents?
4) Does this person display active faith life: such as daily prayer, Mass attendance, regular Confession, if married – marriage is recognized as valid by the Catholic Church.
5) Have I selected one male (Godfather) and/or one female (Godmother) who will walk with my child throughout their entire faith life?
6) Have I chosen a Godparent who is fully initiated? (Fully initiated means they have been Baptized, received Eucharist and Confirmation)
NOTE ON CHRISTIAN WITNESSES: A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Church it not to participate expect together with a Catholic Sponsor (fully initiated) and then only as a witness of the baptism.
Qualifications for Godparents/Sponsors (Per Diocese Guidelines)
- Practicing Catholic (consistent Mass attendance and seeking to live a life in harmony with Catholic teachings).
- Has the capability and intention of carrying out the responsibility of the Godparent
- Attendance at the Baptism Formation session is desirable. A basic understanding of the role undertaken.
- Has been a fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation)
- Is at least 16 years of age
- Not be either the father or mother of the one to be Baptized
- Each child may have one Godmother and one Godfather. All official paperwork will only list one male and one female to act as Godparents.
- Please provide a copy of Confirmation Certificate for each Godparent.
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken
- If either of the Godparents are married- that their marriage was celebrated within in the Catholic Church.
Paperwork for Baptism:
- Valid Birth Certificate for child to be baptized
- Completion of Parish Registration
- Completion of “Petition for Baptism” in parents own writing (Father John will explain this further in your meeting with the Pastor).
- Completion of Godparent(s) paperwork
Baptism calls for conversion and a new lifestyle. The Christian Community invites the newly baptized to follow the Risen Lord, by shaping their lives on principals and values of the Gospel.
Parents/Guardians are to continue to remain part of the Community–by participating in the Sacraments and Lifelong Formation opportunities offered for children ages pre-k through High School, and Adult Formation events.
Need more information? Please contact Sarah at 542-9248 ext. 121 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org