Preparing for Baptism for Infants & Children (Under 7 years of age)
Welcome! We are so glad you are here
We are excited that you are reaching out to learn more about the beautiful Sacrament of Baptism. Every Sacrament brings us into contact with the God who loves us and wants to share His life with us. God is calling you and your family into this exciting encounter with Him.
The Sacrament of Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church (Catechism of the Catholic Church)
- Please contact Fr. Carl Wertin at the Parish Office to begin the process. 719-542-9248 x116 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The special role of Godparents:
A Godparent is to assist the parents/guardians in presenting an infant or child for Baptism. Their role at Baptism and beyond is to act as additional “Catholic mentors” who will help the baptized child throughout their life to become a mature Catholic Christian. They are faithful Catholics, who seek to be an encouragement to the families and children throughout their entire faith journey.
Note: A Godparent is not the same as a legal guardian in the event that the parents/guardians should perish.
Questions to consider when selecting a Godparent:
1) Does this person or couple live their Catholic Faith in an exemplary way? Will they provide a positive Catholic witness for my child?
2) Do I feel reasonably confident that they will encourage my child to live the Catholic Faith throughout the journey of my child’s life?
3) What are my hopes for my child’s relationship with their Godparents?
4) Does this person display active faith life: such as daily prayer, Mass attendance, regular Confession, if married – marriage is recognized as valid by the Catholic Church.
5) Have I selected one male (Godfather) and/or one female (Godmother) who will walk with my child throughout their entire faith life?
6) Have I chosen a Godparent who is fully initiated? (Fully initiated means they have been Baptized, received Eucharist and Confirmation)
NOTE ON CHRISTIAN WITNESSES: A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Church it not to participate expect together with a Catholic Sponsor (fully initiated) and then only as a witness of the baptism.
Qualifications for Godparents/Sponsors (Per Diocese Guidelines)
- Practicing Catholic (consistent Mass attendance and seeking to live a life in harmony with Catholic teachings).
- Has the capability and intention of carrying out the responsibility of the Godparent
- Attendance at the Baptism Formation session is desirable. A basic understanding of the role undertaken.
- Has been a fully initiated Catholic (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation)
- Is at least 16 years of age
- Not be either the father or mother of the one to be Baptized
- Each child may have one Godmother and one Godfather. All official paperwork will only list one male and one female to act as Godparents.
- Please provide a copy of Confirmation Certificate for each Godparent.
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken
- If either of the Godparents are married- that their marriage was celebrated within in the Catholic Church.
Paperwork for Baptism:
- Valid Birth Certificate for child to be baptized
- Completion of Parish Registration
- Completion of “Petition for Baptism” in parents own writing (Fr. John will explain this further in your meeting with the Pastor).
- Interview with Father Carl
- Completion of Godparent(s) paperwork
Need more information? Please contact Fr. Carl Wertin at the Parish Office to begin the process. 719-542-9248 x116 or email@example.com