“Adult confirmation class truly elevated my lifelong journey through Christ. I hadn’t been practicing for some time before I joined the class, and it re-energized my faith. I now have the same sense of “home” walking into Christ the King as I did while I was growing up. Confirmation is an important sacrament that should not be taken lightly, but once you’ve gone through it…your heart will forever be changed.” — Dakota Purkey (Confirmed in 2019)
Whether you have been away for a while, or would just like to re-connect more with the Catholic faith, we want to journey with you.
- Has something sparked your interest to discover or re-discover more about the Catholic faith?
- Has it been many years since you spent time in Faith Formation?
- Were you Baptized Catholic as a child, but would now like to prepare to receive the Sacraments of Confession, Eucharist and Confirmation?
God is lovingly reaching out to you
When will Adult Confirmation Sessions begin?
Please contact Sarah Nelson in the Parish Office. She would love to sit with you, get to know you more and walk with you in your faith journey. 719-542-9248 x121.
What does this process typically entail?
We are all at different stages in our faith journey, the formation process will be determined by your individual needs. Sessions are geared to assist everyone in becoming an active disciple of Jesus Christ, a richer understanding of the Church, prayer and the sacraments.
What if I am a Baptized Catholic who has not yet received First Communion, gone to Confession or received Confirmation?
We would love to sit and talk with you so we can determine how to best serve you. Your formation needs may look a bit differently. Part of your process will be to select a Sponsor, someone with whom you can share the journey of deepening your faith. Please read about the role of the Sponsor below.
Contact our Adult Faith Formation who will meet with you to determine the next steps for you. Since everyone’s situation is different, the individual circumstances and sacramental needs of each person will be assessed.
Why is the Formation so long? What does it consist of?
From the time of the apostles, becoming a Christian has been accomplished by a journey and initiation in several stages.
This journey can be covered rapidly or slowly, but certain essential elements will always have to be present: proclamation of the Word, acceptance of the Gospel entailing conversion, profession of faith, Baptism itself, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and admission to Eucharistic communion.
What if I have questions outside of the “normal” scheduled sessions or come later in the year?
We encourage those with questions to call year round to find out more about the formation process. The formation process is geared toward each person’s individual point on the journey of faith, and for some this may take years or months. It is important to call so we can determine your unique needs.
A Sponsor to walk with you throughout your journey of faith
You will be asked to find a special person called a Sponsor. Jesus taught his disciples the importance of community. It is meaningful that we walk this faith journey with companions. A Sponsor is a practicing Catholic who will serve as a companion, listener, and mentor. Ideally, a Sponsor is someone with whom you can freely share questions and concerns and who will be present along the journey.
Your Sponsor will play an integral role and be present alongside of you throughout the formation process and will stand with you during important moments such as the Rites and at your Initiation into the Church.
The Role of the Sponsor:
The responsibility of the sponsor is to help you live the Catholic Christian lifestyle. Their goal is to be a guide, a mentor and encouragement on your journey of faith. A Sponsor is one who is an active and practicing Catholic, someone with whom you can share with comfortably.
Some suggested questions to consider when selecting a Sponsor:
- Does this person live the Catholic faith in an exemplary way?
- Are they comfortable sharing their faith with me?
- Am I comfortable sharing with them?
- Is there founded hope that they will encourage me to walk the journey of faith through the years?
- Will they have interest in walking with me during the months of formation, study and learning in the Catholic Faith?\
- Is this a person who has the ability to stand up with me (literally) during various moments of this formation journey?
Qualifications of a Sponsor (Diocese Guidelines)
- Understand the qualifications and intention of being a sponsor.
- Attained the age of 16
- Is fully initiated Catholic– Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist (Parish will need a copy of Sponsor’s Confirmation Certificate)
- Has no canonical impediments such as
- divorced and remarried without an annulment
- Catholics married outside of the Church.
- Is not the father or mother of Confirmation Candidate.
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken.
Please be mindful of the following paperwork considerations for a Sponsor:
- Sponsor Paperwork
- Please provide copy of Sponsor(s) Confirmation Certificate
- Review “Qualifications of Sponsor” guidelines
As we go through our sacramental preparation for Confirmation, Confirmation saints are chosen to be a person we want to be like, as well as someone who can pray for us from heaven.
Through the process of canonization, when someone is declared by the Church to be a saint, the Church is proclaiming that this member of the faithful practiced heroic virtue during their life on earth, ‘the Church recognizes the power of the Spirit of holiness within her and sustains the hope of believers by proposing the saints to them as models and intercessors’ (CCC 828).
It is important to remember that as members of the Church, we are never been alone, as St. Paul said, ‘We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses’ (Hebrews 12:1). These witnesses are the saints who continually intercede for us (CCC 956); in choosing a confirmation saint, we are choosing a special friend to intercede for us in heaven and after whom we can model our lives while here on earth.
Here are some websites that might help
Patron Saint listing
Have more questions?
Please call Sarah Nelson at 719-542-9248 x121 or email at email@example.com
We want to know more about you!
For questionnaire to complete and print click here.